If you’ve noticed my absence from the blog it’s because I’m still in recovery mode from our weekend trip to Disneyland; two weekends ago.
While I may not be a big fan of road trips I have to admit that it was a great excuse to get all my siblings together and visit my Brother and his Fiance in Irvine.
As a surprise/souvenir I decided to make everyone their own custom, one-of-a-kind mouse ears. At first one of my Sisters wasn’t really on-board with the idea but as soon as she saw mine she was all in and we rocked them all weekend!
I must say that I wasn’t sure if they were going to hold up through water, wind and roller coasters but I was pleasantly surprised to find that mine still look like they did pre-Disneyland.
If you want the tutorial I used a mish-mash of these DIY projects (see below) with a few added items and I think each pair cost me no more than $3. Not too shabby when you consider that they go for $20+ at the park.
1. Mouse ears template (To view a similar one visit Jen of The Suburban Mom & her DIY post HERE)
2. Sewing Chalk – to trace the template onto the felt
3. Pipe cleaners – I used them to cover the sides of the ears so that you couldn’t see the foam between the felt
4. metal headbands – We left them plain and I found that the smaller headband was A) super comfortable and B) blended into your hair really well
5. Foam Sheets – Extra support & stability for the felt ears
6. Embellishments – You can leave the ears plain, decorate them with flowers/bows OR if you like variety you can just put a piece of pipe cleaner over the ear and use it to clip on different hairbows
7. Regular and glitter felt
9. Sharpie – The silver was actually really easy for me to see when I used it to trace the template onto the foam sheets
10. Hot glue sticks
11. Puffy Paint – *optional: I used this to write names on the back of the ears but that’s not necissary
12. Hot Glue Gun
DIY Mickey/Minnie Mouse Ears via Summer of A Happy Mum
DIY Minnie Floral Ears – Disney Style Blog
As soon as I’m done editing my photos from the weekend I’ll be sure to post a few pictures.